Norma Peterson, Esq (R)
Samuel Lazinger, Esq. (R)
Arthur Hersh (R)
Walter Flynn, Esq (D)
THE POLICE COMMISSION WILL HOLD ITS MONTHLY MEETINGS AT POLICE HEADQUARTERS, 100 REEF ROAD, TRAINING ROOM. AT 4:30 P.M. ON THE SECOND WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH.
Meetings are held at 4:30 p.m. at Police Headquarters, 100 Reef Road, Fairfield, CT 06824
AGENDAS & MINUTES
ABOUT THE COMMISSION
As required by the Charter of the Town of Fairfield (section 10.5), the Police Department is overseen by a Police Commission. Members of the Police Commission are appointed by the Fairfield Board of Selectmen and each member has a term of five (5) years.
Some of the powers and duties of the Police Commission are:
- They have general management supervision of the Police Department and of all property and equipment used by or in connection with the operation of the department;
- They make rules and regulations consistent with the General Statutes and the Charter for the governance of the Police Department and its personnel, and may prescribe penalties for violations of its rules and regulations;
- Subject to provisions of the Charter regarding appointment of the Chief of Police, have sole power to appoint and promote to all positions in the Police Department, which appointments and promotions shall be made on the basis of merit;
- determine the qualifications for each rank and grade in the Police Department
- within the appropriations made for that purpose determine the number of officers and other employees of the police department and of the several ranks and grades and their compensation.
The Police Commission may also appoint an active Chief of Police during the absence or disability of the Chief of Police. They may also appoint Special Traffic Agents.
Commission meetings are held on the second Wednesday of every month at the Fairfield Police Department. The meeting starts at 4:30pm.
The above listed duties and roles are excerpts from the Town Charter. For the full text refer to the "Charter of the Town of Fairfield".
The official agenda and minutes are on file with the Town of Fairfield (click here to view them).