This information is provided for educational purposes only. The Town of Fairfield and the Fairfield Police Department expressly disclaim any and all liability resulting from the material and any recommendations provided and do not represent that these recommendations will prevent a crime or in the event of such crime limit damage to any person or property.
Thefts from your vehicle are a crime of opportunity. Eliminate that opportunity with the following tips:
- Lock your vehicle and do not leave the keys or key fob inside the vehicle.
- Never leave anything of value in plain sight. Conceal all navigation aids (GPS), cellular phones, audio systems, laptop computers, packages, sports equipment, cameras, purses, wallets, firearms, hand tools, sunglasses, etc. from the inside of your vehicle.
- Take anything you can’t afford to lose with you, e.g., a wallet or laptop computer. Put other valuables in the trunk before you park, never after you park. Thieves may be watching.
- When shopping, ask the store to hold all your purchases until you are finished there so you can carry everything to your vehicle in one trip. If you need to make more than one trip to load your trunk, move your vehicle to a different area of the parking lot after each trip.
- Make sure that any valuables that were locked in the glove box or trunk were not taken or tampered with when you return to your vehicle. Thieves are able to get into some vehicles without leaving any visible signs of a break-in.
- If your radio system has a removable face, take it with you even if you are only going to be gone for a few minutes.
- Lock truck-bed toolboxes.
- Install locking devices on batteries, wheels, audio equipment, spare tires, gas tanks, etc.